Today we went to the Rediscovery Centre. I was partnered with Alice. It took a long time to get there but I enjoyed the ride.
On the way I saw what looked like a lighthouse but it was very far away from the water. I pointed it to Alice and she said it was the Rediscovery Centre!
When we got inside, we had a small snack and met our guides. He said that in the Rediscovery Centre they do fashion, furniture, paint, bikes and education workshops. They would get old fabric, paint and other things to make new things.
We focused on Litter and Waste, we were told:
- About the three R’s – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Waste will never go away, it will always be on Earth.
- Every year, Ireland produces 19.8 million tonnes of waste. This is enough to fill Croke Park 3 times!
- You can put the top of a pizza box in the recycling bin and the bottom half into compost.
- Chewing gum is not biodegradable. This means that it will never wear away.
- It takes 1 million years for glass to biodegrade.
- They took old IKEA bags and turned them into raincoats!
We also played some games. After that we made pictures using recyclable materials. Then we had lunch at the pond. I saw a lot of fish.
We then got our art back. Mine had my initials on it. Then we went back to school. The trip was fun!